Thursday, September 29, 2011

Changing my method

I've been thinking about the sources I'm getting my information from. Let's just go with the Church leaders' mindset for a minute: the adversary gets his grip on people. Let's say he got his grip on a few key people to come up with some "historical" documents, or to "quote" some historical documents - all in the name of destroying testimonies. I don't actually think this is the case, but I guess I'm just conditioned and trusting enough of the Church that I will concede that it's a possibility.

I highly doubt that I can get my hands on the Journal of Discourses, where Brigham Young is quoted saying so many things that make me want to disassociate myself with the Church. I can't get my hands on the journals of early members. (What I really wish I could do is go back in time, and get to know those early members for myself - especially JS.)

But I can do what I'd do if I were researching say, the Asian people. So here's my plan: no more crazed, hungry searches for information online. I'm going to read some actual books by people who have done real research, done the notations, gone through the hullabaloo of publishing. I know that still doesn't prove anything - but I don't have the means and resources to do the exhaustive digging it would require.

I got on the library's webpage and requested a few items. Hopefully they'll make it to our branch by tomorrow and I can start in.

No comments:

Post a Comment